Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Whakapapa Club Agenda  

RSS
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora koutou,

We need to start getting an agenda together for our whakapapa club hui, especially seeing as it is looking like happening fairly soon.

So what I would like to suggest is that in this panui we put ideas for what we would like to do in the Whakapapa Club and what we could awhi with, or guide the korero. It doesn't matter if we have more than one person willing to awhi with a topic - the more the merrier

Also, depending on suggestions here, everything may not be covered in our first hui, but that is okay as we can do other things in our next hui.

So here is my little contribution:

I can do a walk through on how to search the familysearch site and how to get results

I could also do a walk through on how to use google to get results also.

What I would love to learn is more about other places to search as well as anything else that anyone is willing to share

Just for cross reference
[url="http://www.maori.org.nz/papa_panui/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=419&FORUM_ID=30&CAT_ID=2&Topic_Title=Whakapapa+Club%3F&Forum_Title=Whakapapa+Club"]This panui[/url] is the one that started the ball rolling.
[url="http://www.maori.org.nz/papa_panui/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=434&FORUM_ID=30&CAT_ID=2&Topic_Title=Times+and+Days+for+Whakapapa+Club+Hui&Forum_Title=Whakapapa+Club"]This panui[/url] is the one with the days / times being worked out.
[url="http://www.maori.org.nz/papa_panui/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=445&FORUM_ID=30&CAT_ID=2&Topic_Title=Whakapapa+Club+Chat+Testers+Wanted&Forum_Title=Whakapapa+Club"]This panui[/url] is where you can post a panui to be a tester - and it is fun!

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

Posted : 01 March, 2005 12:02 pm
y2ranga
(@y2ranga)

Ae I agree, I too am familiar with family research and google, the archives are useful provided patience prevails whilst doing the research.Any other avenue can only be a bonus. Kia u, Kia mataara.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 March, 2005 1:23 pm
NgatiMaori OWC
(@ngatimaori-owc)

Kia ora

Add me I'm interested too!!
I would be delighted to help where I can

Hear from you soon

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 March, 2005 7:20 pm
Ginseng OWC
(@ginseng-owc)

Kia ora

I too would be most interested in finding more sites to use in research of whakapapa.

Also some suggested places that people can go to research their iwi, places, articles, relating to their own whakapapa.

Maybe share some techniques / ways to display or store all their information they have collated over the years?

Possibly recommend some books to read that could be relevant.

Just some ideas to throw on the table ne!

Gin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 March, 2005 10:44 pm
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Tena Koutou

I will assist where I can, websites for tribal affliations, general korero, websites, for maori land courts, I may even try collating some info from the archives, here, on this site, and run it in a alphabetical, format (in a spreadsheet or something) of previous forums, re: whanau names, people searching for the same, whanau, and have it handy maybe, just incase

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2005 1:31 am
y2ranga
(@y2ranga)

Ae tautoko pearlau.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2005 8:22 am
Poraka OWC
(@poraka-owc)

Tena korua Pearlau & Y2ranga,

I see that there is now a link at the top of the pages 'Names Being Researched'

You two were fast!! Awesome! It must have been a lot of work collating all the information! Kia ora korua!!

We all appriciate it heaps!

Quackie/Froggie Girl

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 March, 2005 3:16 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora koutou,

It has been really good meeting you all in the test area for our Whakapapa Club. This has been the first time that I have been into chat rooms and meeting you's all there has given me a better understanding now of how it all works, so kia ora koutou

Now knowing that, I suggest for our first hui we do a "Main Places Where to Search on the Net" and each member can share one site, the url, and tips to general searching and refining the search.

If you are new to the net, or new to looking for whakapapa info, then you can ask questions about each one.

After that we can take it from there and see where we end up!

We could maybe also use this sort of format for the other topics like Iwi affiliations, software evaluation, putting your whakapapa online and other topics.

Ae?

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 March, 2005 10:46 pm
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Kia ora Koutou

Poraka, thanks for the belief faith, and trust that you have (had) in me and Y2ranga, but we cannot take the glory for the collation of the new section "Names being Researched"

No... that honour goes to the Boss, Maori.org.nz and Papa Panui Admin who worked on a code, to have the listings set up in that easy to find format.

If I had to do that it would of taken me a couple of 6 months and couple of 12 boxes of beer, just to get my head around it.

Kia ora, maori.org.nz, papa panui, admin for the mahi, time and "making it happen for the members and future memebers of this site".

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 March, 2005 12:48 am
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Tena koe Poutokomanawa

I too have enjoyed the meetings in the test areas, and tautoko your suggestion for the "Main places where to search on the net" as the first meet.

Sometimes it can get messy in chat rooms, depending on how many are online, and some may be seeking a different response to what is set for that meet.(ie: websites to search)

But I think if this is set as the kaupapa for the first live meet, then that is how it will be, and the flow of information back and forth and between each other, will be structured and easy to follow.

Again, looking forward to the start date.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 March, 2005 1:02 am
Ginseng OWC
(@ginseng-owc)

kiaora koutou katoa

I too feel for the better in having met you all whilst testing the chat facility, and also look forward to the start o tenei hui.

I find that the "names researched" linked is quite handy as well. From this sites humble beginnings it has come a long way ne?

Keep up the great work to all involved !

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 March, 2005 3:57 pm
Share: