Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

WHAKAPAPA DAY.......  

RSS
kiwininja OWC
(@kiwininja-owc)

It's time

Dump Guy Fawkes Day

for 'WHAKAPAPA DAY'...a real National Holiday for everybody.

Edited by - kiwininja on Mar 16 2005 07:04:49 AM

Posted : 26 November, 2004 5:30 pm
wahine_maori69 OWC
(@wahine_maori69-owc)

Not a bad suggestion... However can imagine Tauiwi and Iwi Katoa for that matter giving up guy fawkes????

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 November, 2004 4:45 pm
artecwoman OWC
(@artecwoman-owc)

Kia Ora wahine_maori69.

I totally agree with this suggestion because there is people

like me who is still looking for whakapapa.

naku noa na Inu

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 December, 2004 10:56 am
WineeraM OWC
(@wineeram-owc)

Kia Ora

I think that is an awesome idea. I have never liked celebrating an idiot who blew up parliament in the first place. Who the hell wants to remember an idiot. Not worth it.

I tautoko Kiwininja!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 December, 2004 6:40 pm
Mikaere OWC
(@mikaere-owc)

Yep, i agree, too many european festivals comming into this country which have nothing what-so-ever to do with Aoteroa. Lets get rid of that OLD colonialism

The Americans are bringing in Halloween which has nothing to do with us, and it seems businesses are trying to make a profit from it all.

Whakapapa Day or anything simular would be awesome.

What about a National Culture Day?
We seem to be having a growth of foreigners in this country and sharing one's culture can certainly put ignorance under ones feet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 March, 2005 4:22 pm
y2ranga
(@y2ranga)

Ae I totally agree with the above comments, it cheers my heart when I know that people can celebrate our uniqueness once a year in Kawhia, where stalls are set up and the different kai that our tupuna had, are prepared and shared for a minimal charge. I dislike Guy Fawkes and the havoc and harm and lost of home and limb or in the case of a member of my family, an eye. Tuturu tautoko.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 March, 2005 9:43 pm
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Kia ora Koutou

E tautoko ano.

No guy fawkes -

We should have a
have a national whakapapa day
and a national whanau day
and a national maori kai day

kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 March, 2005 1:39 am
taniabrookes OWC
(@taniabrookes-owc)

Kia ora Kiwininja,
I think your sentiment is a lovely one however I think a unique day could be chosen that does not necessarily clash with another celebration. Let us not forget that every nationality, no matter where they are from, in whatever minority, in any given country of the world are entitled, just as we are, to celebrate and commemorate what ever is important to them. We often tolerate ignorance and a lack of sensitivity for our own beliefs and customs by others and I do not believe it is fair for our people to not show the same respect to others customs. Whether or not we believe or wish to participate in the event is immaterial as long as there is a mutual respect shown by all. Whether we like it or not cultural diversity now touches every part of the globe and we must all play our part in tolerance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 March, 2005 5:47 pm
Hakat OWC
(@hakat-owc)

Kia ora Kiwininja,

Whakapapa Day is a great idea. I suggest this be included during iwi Matariki celebrations during June. In Kahungunu our iwi have renamed Queens Birthday Weekend as Matariki Weekend and from this year we are inviting our iwi to come home to join in Matariki celebrations. Last year 15,000 people joined in and we hope to have similar numbers this year. Our programme on Saturday 4 June includes Best Rewena Bread Contest, Maori kai Fear Factor, live entertainment, kapa haka, Tui Teka Show, whanau hikoi for health, fairground rides and attractions and fireworks www.matarikifestival.co.nz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 April, 2005 5:38 pm
Kapden_Niro OWC
(@kapden_niro-owc)

Would you believe that bills seem to come at the same time as guy fawkes!!!! so i never have money for things that go up in smoke and im always inside with my mokos watching from the window. so theres no fun for my mokos and they scream at the sky rockets...now if there is a matariki day, or kapa haka or something where i could take the mokos and have a good day out, hey, that would be awesome.

cheers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 May, 2005 1:44 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Weird thing about Guy Fawkes is that it is not celebrated in its country of origin. Why we would hang onto something so cultrally insignificant to our own culture was my own question recently in another forum.
I was bombarded with replies from NZ which indicated NZers admire rebellious actions where the average man trys to topple the higher powers.

My own reply was this -if that is so..why then has it taken so long for NZers to have the same respect for Hone Heke at least he was a Kiwi?
No surprise to me that there was no feedback!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 May, 2005 8:36 pm
Share: