Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Whakapapa researchers and public libraries - help needed  

RSS
Moata OWC
(@moata-owc)

Kia ora koutou,
My name is Moata Tamaira and I am currently studying to become a librarian. I am doing a piece of research on how Whakapapa researchers use public libraries. If you use public libraries to research your whakapapa, or the whakapapa of others then I would be grateful if you filled out my questionnaire.
You can pick up a copy at the following libraries until 5 September.

Auckland City Libraries, Central City Library, Auckland Research Centre

Manukau Libraries, Central Research Library

Wellington City Libraries, Central City library, New Zealand Collection

Christchurch City Libraries, Central City library, Aotearoa New Zealand Centre

Dunedin Public Libraries, City library, 3rd floor

Or download and print out a copy from [url="http://rcyachts.net/maori/Whakapapa_Research_Experience_and_Interest_Survey_Questionnaire.pdf"]here[/url], and send it back via freepost.

Check out my [url="http://www.searching4tupuna.blogspot.com"]research blog[/url] for more information.

Cheers!

Posted : 13 August, 2007 5:38 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Tena koe i find alot of library information incomplete and distorted from personal family information

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 August, 2007 3:21 pm
Moata OWC
(@moata-owc)

quote:

Tena koe i find alot of library information incomplete and distorted from personal family information

Kia ora Taiga,
Thanks for your comment. I wonder if you could explain what you mean a bit more. What kind of experiences have you had in libraries? I think I understand what you mean about information being incomplete. Libraries can only provide access to the information that is available and sometimes this can be very "hit and miss".
Please feel free to make further comments if you wish.

Kia ora ano,
Moata

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 August, 2007 9:53 am
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

I have been through a few books looking at whakapapa and other historical whakapapa-like documents i.e karakia most of which are quite incomplete or plain old wrong. My problem with written information such as these are the authors, although they may have collected their information from empowered resources i know alot of my koroua would actually miss out giving all of the information for issues of trust and right

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 August, 2007 2:19 pm
Share: