Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Whanau Records: Ideas and Suggestions  

Page 1 / 4
  RSS
PapaPanui Admin OWC
(@papapanui-admin-owc)

Kia ora koutou,

Y2ranga suggested having facilites for whanau records and now the boss has asked me to look at it, so I am setting it up similar to the records in the Familysearch site - with improvements of course

The following is what we have drafted but if there is anything else that anyone can think of, let us know by posting a note here.
-------------------------------------
Personal Record for: First Name, LAST NAME

Personal Details
Birth: Date, Place
Death: Date, Place

Parent Details
Father: First Name, LAST NAME
Mother: First Name, LAST NAME

Family Details
Spouse: First Name, LAST NAME
Children: First Name, LAST NAME

Spouse: First Name, LAST NAME

The idea is that each name will be a hyperlink to a record with the above information available if it is there

Members will be able to add records

If a member adds a record, they will have editing rights to the record to add in more information, or to correct information for that record

The plan is also to have all spouses listed with the children underneath, but we are still working on the code to get this to happen and will keep you all posted

The records naturally will be fully searchable and be included in the full site search for the Whakapapa Club

Once we have got the records finished, we will be looking at going through the posts in the Finding Whanau and Tracing Tupuna sections to add in some records, givng editing rights to the members who posted the information originally in the posts.

Posted : 26 April, 2005 4:07 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora PapaPanui Admin,

This sounds a great idea to have for us.

Here are a few other ideas that may be able to be incorporated:

If the info comes from the Forums, or another website, a place to put in the url

Will the member's name be shown so people will know who to contact if they want more info?

When a record is added, is everything added at once or is there a different place to add spouses and / or parents?

If there is a record that does not have say parents, can another member add in the parents, or will it only be the person who put the initial record up?

May I also suggest that under family details, children be changed to child then the name.

It would be great if the records will show all spouses and their children - a big improvement on the familysearch site

The adding and editing of records is also another big improvement on the familysearch site so after a while instead of refering people to the familysearch site we will be able to refer them to our own whanau records

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 April, 2005 4:22 am
PapaPanui Admin OWC
(@papapanui-admin-owc)

Kia ora poutokomanawa,

Great points you have raised and have changed some of the design to implement them.

There are now add facilites for parents and we will also be adding add facilites for spouses and children. Any member will be able to add records and those added will only be updateable by that member.

Children is now child as you suggested.

We have got the family details working now as per the example

Keep those suggestions and ideas coming!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 April, 2005 5:04 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Any update on this PapaPanui Admin?

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 June, 2005 3:02 pm
exqwsit OWC
(@exqwsit-owc)

PapaPanui Admin,
I know it is alot to ask but would it be possible to add a space for a photo, passport size?
When it comes to names my memory is not the best at times, but when it comes to a picture of a person it all comes back, and also a space for
alias/nickname/known as maybe! growing up my whanau and I all had nicknames and after fourty odd years I still have mine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 June, 2005 8:24 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

PapaPanui Admin

This is a great idea and will be of huge benefit for those of us wishing to get a clearer picture of those who came before us.

The only comments I would add to Poutukomanawas excellent ones is this - our people were often mobile so their place of birth and death are not always their main areas of residence. It would be helpful if we were able to add these details- tribal areas, affiliations or employment if known

In regards to how the info is collated I personally prefer a system which allows us to add our information onto the main thread rather than adjust it. Reason being that at some time or other each and every one of us takes a wrong turn and that information can be misleading to others. By adding onto a thread we are then able to pick and choose which pathway we think sounds more correct for our own line.
I recently found my GGrandmother had 13 children on the family history site it contradicted her own written history she left behind. There had indeed been 13 children but they were to her husband and two wives. So the suggestion that we have these multi relationships shown is indeed an excellent one.
If we were able to add contact details as well that would make it easier to share inforamtion with others researching the same whanau.

The family history site has been a wonderful resourse to date, but any and all who use it also know the pitfalls and errors that incorrect information can bring perhaps if we can learn from these mistakes and incorporate what is cultrally more appropriate for us as a people then we will indeed have something that is of benefit to us and the generations who follow behind

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 June, 2005 10:18 pm
PapaPanui Admin OWC
(@papapanui-admin-owc)

Kia ora koe Poutokomanawa,

Should have known you would be the one to get this started again

Since my last post, as there were no more comments or suggestions, I put the coding on hold, but now, seeeing as you have asked AND there has been more suggestions, the boss (maori.org.nz) has said to get it happening again, so here I am

exqwsit; it is not too much to ask about the possibility for photos - passport size - it is an excellent idea and I will have a play with the code to get that facility added in for you.

The Nickname idea is also another great idea, and as it is an easy code thing to do, it has now been done

markonijoy; main areas of residence, iwi and employment are more great ideas. Before I add them in, could you give me some good Headings for these? ie:

Kainga / Residence - would that cover it?
Iwi - that is self explanatory
Mahi / Employement - self explanotory too

As for the contact details, each record says "Record added my USERNAME" so people who are members can click on username to access info. Actually, I will also add the link to email the user - just thought of that as I wrote this!

Can you clarify for me what you mean by thread also markonijoy? The whanau records that we are looking at adding are not part of the forums.

I will upload in the next 24 hours a sample of the Whanau Records so everyone will be able to see exactly what we are looking at doing. From having a working example it may make it easier for ideas and suggestions.

The boss always says, "Kei a koutou te mana" so all of your suggestions and ideas are importnant. And markonijoy summed it up nicely

quote:

The family history site has been a wonderful resourse to date, but any and all who use it also know the pitfalls and errors that incorrect information can bring perhaps if we can learn from these mistakes and incorporate what is cultrally more appropriate for us as a people

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 June, 2005 12:05 am
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

In reply to the questions aimed at me -Markonijoy

I think you have adequately covered the Kainga. Iwi, Mahi with what youve written up.

If "Record added My USERNAME " provides a "link" or "thread" to who provided the info and subsequently gives us the option of following up on the information submitted either through the forums or direct with the submitter (assuming they have choosen not remain anonymous)then that would be a huge advantage over the family history site which only offers postal contact details for some submitters. Often the result is your inquiry is returned by snail mail with "Sender unknown"
An online link would have huge advantages being faster and if it related to "Username" cuts out the disadvantage of when people change their e-mail addresses.Well done team they are all...
very, very exciting concepts -cant wait to see how well it works.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 June, 2005 2:00 am
PapaPanui Admin OWC
(@papapanui-admin-owc)

Kia ora ano Markonijoy

I appreciate your promptness at replying - helps when I'm busy coding and need to understand what people are suggesting so as I can implement it.

I have added in a URL box, so that is where people can put a link to the forum posts.

In regards to the link to a User, even if they have chosen to remain anonymous and put up a record (or post) did you know that by clicking on the email icon by their post you can still email them

And if the email address comes back because they have changed it and not updated their records, you can always send a pm

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 June, 2005 1:26 pm
exqwsit OWC
(@exqwsit-owc)

Wow Papa Panui,
You and your team are just too much; this database
project will be awesome once finished, and people start putting in there input.
I know I will be putting in mine and my whanau across the tasman will be doing the same, for me it will be one of my life's achievements something for my mokopuna's to look at and maybe add on to it later on in life.
Well done.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 June, 2005 8:07 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

PapaPanui Admin and Whakapapa. maori. org
Really you need to be commended for the speed in which you have added and updated services.
I have been quite surprised by two factors
1) the amount of growth thats occurred in a relatively short time frame
2) the sincere feeling of aroha that comes across in most of the replies.
I thankyou "All" for the work which goes on behind the scenes and is often not acknowledged.
Your efforts have already made a difference to those of us who are searching for answers or have needed a little support in their quest to find where they really belong

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 June, 2005 10:31 pm
PapaPanui Admin OWC
(@papapanui-admin-owc)

Tuatahi he mihi aroha tenei ki a korua, mo to korero aroha ki a matou. We really appreciate your kind words of aroha and encouragement. We live by the korero in our tikanga section hence the reason why if we say we will do something, we will!

And the 24 hours is nearly up so
[url="http://whakapapa.maori.org.nz/wr_default.asp"]here[/url] is the Whanau Records Testing section.

Do a search for the name Nohi to view records.

Have a look at the record for Jack Nohi which has a fairly full record.

Click on his spouse Jill Hori to see another record with different details (2 whanau)

If you are logged in, you will see an "Add Parents" button for records that do not have parents.

You will see "Add A Record" and "Update Records" on the menu to the right.

The "Update Records" is to help members find what they have added fast without having to search first. It will list all of the records that you have added.

At the moment, there is a default image that is showing for all records. Once we have finished the code the default image will show if there is NOT an image for the person

Also, at the moment, the forms for adding in the spouses and children have not been completed, but I am sure you will all be able to get the idea from the records for Jack Nohi and Jill Hori to see what will be possible.

Feel free to add trial records and edit them - have a play!!!
And of course, any suggestions, ideas, improvements or comments are most welcome

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 June, 2005 12:21 am
PapaPanui Admin OWC
(@papapanui-admin-owc)

Kia ora koutou

Well, records can now have photos added as exqwsit suggested - so have a play!

If you have already added records you will find that they have been deleted as I had to change the Database for the images.

Should have the other things done within a week at the most

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 June, 2005 7:10 pm
y2ranga
(@y2ranga)

Kia ora koutou katoa, It is so good to read the progress that is happening within whakapapa.maori.org.nz. Congratulations to you all for the success on the site.I love the idea of being able to view and share photos. We are after all picture people that have learnt the art of the written word.Nga mihi nui ano kia koutou.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 June, 2005 10:41 pm
y2ranga
(@y2ranga)

Kia ora ano. Is there any way of linking to Marae. I am not sure of the correct technical grammar but I am assuming that a thread could perhaps link to Marae, Iwi and Hapu?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 June, 2005 10:53 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: