Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

HETA  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

HETA WHANAU of Whangaruru

The Heta whanau are descendants of Heta Pakaraka Kauwhata and his wife, Makarita. Heta was the son of Te Kauwhata and his second wife, Tirohanga [a.k.a. Tira Haunga].
They would often have a red head among their children and this they believed had been given to them by the fairies, and was a special blessing.
In ‘Men Came Voyaging’ by C.M. Sheffield, there is mention that “back in the centuries before recorded history in New Zealand, the Waitakere Ranges were said to be peopled by a fairy race, the Patupaiarehe. These fair-skinned folk could be seen only by persons gifted with second sight. There are families in Kaipara who trace their descent from the half-lengendary tribe and the advent of a child with reddish hair amongst these people is counted as a legacy from the Patupaiarehe of old.”
The Heta whanau have always lived in the Punaruku district and are mentioned in many family stories.

Extracted from:
WHERE IT ALL BEGAN – The Story of Whangaruru taking in from Mimiwhangata to Whangamumu
Author: Madge Malcolm
First Published in 1982
Edited by: H. Hakaraia

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 November, 2005 3:41 pm
wakiwi OWC
(@wakiwi-owc)

Hi my name is Maurice Heta. My family is from Whangaruru in Ngaiotonga. My marae is Ngatiwai at Old Russell Road Whangaruru.

In relation to you looking for Peata Heta you could try at the Marae and talk to Bella Thompson.

If you get this message before the 5/12/05 you could contact me on this mobile number 001161-415840328 before the 9/12/05 as I will be in New Zealand that week and I will be at the marae in Ngaiotong,whangaruru.

Hope this can help and hear back from you soon

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 December, 2005 2:02 am
Te_Korohunga OWC
(@te_korohunga-owc)

Ki ora Tane, There is a whanau of Heta's that is from Whangaruru, Rawhiti, Moerewa, and in most areas in the NgaPuhi District, who are a very big Whanau in NgaPuhi / Ngati Wai.
Their Tupuna is Te Kauwhata ( a signiture of Te Teriti O Waitangi ) who had a son called Heta, who is responsible for the name florishing the NgaPuhi District and Aoteroa to the world.
Hope this is help to you, good luck Bro!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 December, 2005 6:21 pm
babeey OWC
(@babeey-owc)

My name is Nyrenea Hepi my whanau is from whangaruru, rawhiti. I grew up with many of the heta whanau in these areas and still keep in close contact with them. unfortunately your mothers name does not ring any bells but what i can do is ask my nanny suzie (whom was married to my grandfathers brother Boxa Hepi) if she nows of her as she has and still is living in whangaruru. they also had a family reunion new years 2006. so keep looking in and hopefully i will have some more details for u in a day or two... kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 January, 2006 10:57 pm
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

Aue taukuri e! e pouri ana töu mamaetanga e Täne! Ko te tümanako, ma te ätua e manaaki ki a koe ma töu kimihia mo töu whaea, mämä ränei.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 January, 2006 5:03 pm
lionel OWC
(@lionel-owc)

kia ora my name is Lionel Inia-Edmonds

hello saloon you mentioned the Heta Whanau in Kihikihi those Heta's are related to me on my grand mothers side her name is Te Rangitapu Tunohomaiteururangi or Tunoho for sort our marae is Owairaka and Aotearoa Ngati Raukawa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 January, 2006 1:59 pm
Aroha H OWC
(@aroha-h-owc)

Kia ora Tane im from Whangaruru too and my grandmother was a Heta her fathers name is Tetao Heta and her mothers was Wairukuruku and my grandmothers name was Atareiria try ring the Mokau Kohangareo in Whangaruru and ask for whaea Meri Barber shes my aunty but also the kaiako their she might be able to help

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 May, 2006 11:18 pm
stubbornforgey OWC
(@stubbornforgey-owc)

Hell..
this is going to sound silly..but em also related to the Heta whanau.
In fact ..i was bought up with them..
My cousins are the twins..Ronnie and Roy.
My uncle was Charlie Heta ..who married my aunty
Rama Tamanui. (both deceased).
Our connection is mainly with the Wade side.
The Heta whanau up in whangarei are the grandchildren of uncle charlie and his daughter in law Annette.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 June, 2006 6:04 pm
Wahine Ben
(@wahine-ben)

Kia koutou

My name is Bernice and I am the eldest daughter off Ben Heta and my Mother is Mariana Te Keene. He was born in Kaihu and his dad was Te Wano (Bill) Heta (my grandfather whom I never met) of Poroti (don't know whether this is right)and his Mum was Whakarongotai Te Rore of Kaihu.
My great grandfather was Ta Heta and great grandmother was Kataraina Rako.
Never ever knew our Heta Whanau and still don't know. Our Grandad separated from our Nanny when Dad was only 8 and had another Whanau whom we met back in 1997. He changed his name to Adams (Dad doesn't know why) because when grandad left he told our Dad that never forget, you are a "HETA". So we now have this whole new whanau we are just getting to know which is awesome.
Would be great to get to know some of the Heta Whanau. I have 4 sisters and we all live in Porirua. We also have have a whangai brother, Benjamin (Brisbane) and he and my nephews Benjamin II and Rehutai (both in Otaki at the Wa) are able to carry Heta name on for our whanau.

Hope to hear from anyone.

Arohatinonui

Na Wahine Ben

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 June, 2006 7:37 pm
Tane_nz OWC
(@tane_nz-owc)

Tena koutou wow thanks for all the info i been off line for a while but am back now thanks for all the info, theres some good info here thanks again

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 December, 2006 9:41 pm
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

quote:

Hell..
The Heta whanau up in whangarei are the grandchildren of uncle charlie and his daughter in law Annette.

kia ora
Just asking if your uncle charlie heta that I knew, has brothers johnny, george and peta(arapeta)= polly heta (parata)?
Sisters rauatua, mabel, lucy, hmm.....forgotten the other names.
(sorry, lazy go look at my whakapapa lol)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 December, 2006 10:36 pm
dlyoung8@hotmail.com OWC
(@dlyoung8hotmail-com-owc)

quote:

Hell..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 July, 2007 2:56 am
dlyoung8@hotmail.com OWC

quote:

Hell..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 July, 2007 2:59 am
dlyoung8@hotmail.com OWC

hi i am from the wade family yes the heta twins are my cousins there father is charlie is a uncle of mine and that interesting would like to know more of charlie heta and his daughter in laws annette childern and g childern like to be filled in if you can as i research as much as possible within the family but this one i dont know about
if you know names and more facts please contact me
thanks daphne young

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 July, 2007 3:04 am
tehaate OWC
(@tehaate-owc)

quote:

Kia koutou

My name is Bernice and I am the eldest daughter off Ben Heta and my Mother is Mariana Te Keene. He was born in Kaihu and his dad was Te Wano (Bill) Heta (my grandfather whom I never met) of Poroti (don't know whether this is right)and his Mum was Whakarongotai Te Rore of Kaihu.
My great grandfather was Ta Heta and great grandmother was Kataraina Rako.
Never ever knew our Heta Whanau and still don't know. Our Grandad separated from our Nanny when Dad was only 8 and had another Whanau whom we met back in 1997. He changed his name to Adams (Dad doesn't know why) because when grandad left he told our Dad that never forget, you are a "HETA". So we now have this whole new whanau we are just getting to know which is awesome.
Would be great to get to know some of the Heta Whanau. I have 4 sisters and we all live in Porirua. We also have have a whangai brother, Benjamin (Brisbane) and he and my nephews Benjamin II and Rehutai (both in Otaki at the Wa) are able to carry Heta name on for our whanau.

Hope to hear from anyone.

Arohatinonui

Na Wahine Ben

Ki ora, My Name is Patti and like you I have never met the Heta Whanau from Poroti (unsure)My late grand father was Joseph Heta and he was from this area Mangakahia road Whangarei, he died when my mother was very young,Joseph Heta married my grandmother TeAo Ranapia from Opape, Opotiki approximately the 1920s and that Joseph was a wood chopping competitor

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 September, 2007 9:23 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: