Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

KEPA/KEEPA  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS
Rereahu ahau OWC
(@rereahu-ahau-owc)

Tena Koe whanau?

I too am a direct descendant of
Te Keepa Rangihiwinui O Putiki Marae and his parents were Tangaru raua ko Rere o maki.

I come from the 2nd wife and her name was Herena.

She was bought back to Tuwharetoa area, and had her baby, whom she named Wahinekino she in turn married Hohepa Patumoana.

They in turn had a son called Tahi and he married Mootu.

They in turn had a son called Te Raroa he had met my mother and had 2 daughters.

Te Raroa had a 2nd mariage and had 17 more children.

My name is Te Waiti Barbara Taniora.

I have been to Putiki Marae twice, the first times was when I was on the protest site for Pakaitore, and again when I went to look for my koro who had been buried for a 100 years to the day, and guess what? koro had lead me straight to him via a whistle that only I could hear.

Arohanui ki a koe?

And yeah! (Our opinion does count)

Barbi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 October, 2005 6:37 pm
stubbornforgey OWC
(@stubbornforgey-owc)

to be quite honest..it was a shock to myself to learn that my grandfathers original name was Keepa/Kepa.
We were bought up thinking his surname was Tamanui..only to learn that Tamanui was his mothers maiden name
Kaora Keepa/Kepa..better known as Kiore Tamanui
Aptly named after the name he was given in the band he used to play in as a youth.He was on the accordian.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 October, 2005 9:29 am
maitahi_steve OWC
(@maitahi_steve-owc)

Kia ora whanau.

I am a south Island connection.

I am descended from Te Keepa Rangihiwinui as well.

One of his daughters came south to Westport and helped form The Mahuika whanau down here.
Will get back with more info.

Steve

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 October, 2005 9:20 pm
maitahi_steve OWC
(@maitahi_steve-owc)

I don't know if I am allowed, but an Ataahua picture of him can be found here http://www.pukeariki.com/en/stories/conflict/chute.asp

Half way down the page.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 October, 2005 9:25 pm
maitahi_steve OWC
(@maitahi_steve-owc)

Try a bit of history for Major Kemp

http://www.dnzb.govt.nz/dnzb/Maori_default.asp?../dnzb/Maori_Essay_Body.asp?Adv_Search=1T64&SearchPage=advanced

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 October, 2005 9:57 pm
kra.z OWC
(@kra-z-owc)

quote:

Tena koe whanau

I noticed your whanau surname. Not sure if you knows or heard of my great grandmother been trying to trace her side for long time. I feels useless to find her whanau. Her name is materoa keepa. Last I saw her, she use to lived at paeroa when I was 7yrs old. Her son was my grandfather peta karu (harawira)

kia ora

ae whanaunga i know who you are talking about

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 December, 2005 11:50 pm
huiabird OWC
(@huiabird-owc)

kia ora kra.z
Please, please tell me anything about my great grandmother materoa. Sadly missed her.
eg. hapu, whanau, or whakapapa?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 December, 2005 9:58 pm
supa-narna OWC
(@supa-narna-owc)

KEPA/KEEPA/KEMP; Kia Ora, I have been trying to find info on a Robert Kepa/Keepa/Kemp, he is my biological grandfather and lived in the Dargaville area (Pouto-Kaipara Northland) My father is his only son and 64...Robert married and had daughters last info I had was that he lived in Whangarei where he died a few years ago, he would be in his 80's...Um....The Kepa whanau up there were related to the Kapa whanau, but I have no idea at all of and family history aexcept for the above...
Any help or info that may be attatched to the Kepa's of the Pouto area would be great...
Thanks so much for your time
Kia Ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 January, 2006 8:57 pm
Rewatu OWC
(@rewatu-owc)

There's a street in paeroa and paroa (whakatane) named after a keepa called Keepa Rd named after my great great grand father

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 January, 2006 9:55 pm
Billi Jo Morgan OWC
(@billi-jo-morgan-owc)

Kia Ora,
I have 2 aunties who are Kepa's...their names are Pauline and Isabel(Izzy/Boo Boo), Pauline had children to Ben Te Moananui, and Isabel had children to Adrian Houpapa, I know only that at this time as I am trying to find my Morgan side, but, Isabel lives in Otara, and Pauline lives down Taumarunui...would u like me to find out more from my aunties then let me know...another thing, my dad took them back to a marae I still neva got the name of it but, he said he took them back because he was there itha great/gfather...

Kia Kaha hope u have more luck finding your whanau as I hope to as well...

Ka Kite Koutou,
Billi Jo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 February, 2006 6:17 pm
shrillsnz OWC
(@shrillsnz-owc)

quote:

I have a question,, how many wives did Te Keepa Rangihiwinui have? What were their names and does anyone know what order they were in, who the children were. How many etc. I see alot of grey area in those matters.

I know of three. Couldn't say what order. Makere Wikitoria Taitoko, ....Herena....Mata Te Kaihoe. Could not say how many children. Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 March, 2006 12:00 am
Army Brat OWC
(@army-brat-owc)

Kia ora,

In regards to Keepa Te Rangihiwinui's wives - I have a photograph of Major Kemp and one of his wives (possbly his third wife) which is unamed. I can email a copy to anyone related who maybe able to put a name to her. As far as I am aware Makere Wikitoria Taitoko is Major Kemp's adopted daughter and not his wife. She was adopted from the family of one of his wives however can not confirm which wife. Both Major Kemp and Wikitoria Keepa are buried at Putiki Cemetary. Wikitoria Street and Kemp Street are also located in Putiki. I am connected through Major Kemp's mother Rereomaki.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 July, 2007 3:41 pm
K.Te Keepa Rata Te Awe OWC
(@k-te-keepa-rata-te-awe-owc)

Kia ora,

My grandfather is Taruke Keepa Rata (Jimmy Kemp in European), he lived in Pouto, his parents, Toko Rata Keepa, came from Whangaruru and Matauri Bay, Nanny Toko married Makiari Pihema, she was a well respected in the Kaipara area, I do know that we are not related to the Kapa or the Kena whanau. Our whanau marae around the Kaipara is Otamatea and Waikaretu (alot of history behind Waikaretu, the original marae was Riripo, down on the Point), there is a little Uru Pa there and has alot of Kepa/Keepa whanau buried there. If you would like to email me, I can put you in touch with an Aunty who can help you fill in the whakapapa for you.

Kia ora
Arohanui xx

Edited by - K.Te Keepa Rata Te Awe on Jul 22 2007 6:03:07 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 July, 2007 5:59 pm
marytana1975 OWC
(@marytana1975-owc)

Kia ora koutou,

I can tell you that Mateora Keepa's son Selwyn is still residing in Paeroa with his wife Diane.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 August, 2007 8:25 pm
Upokoruru OWC
(@upokoruru-owc)

kia-ora koutou,

My interest in rangatira Te Keepa Rangihiwinui is due to a whakapaapa published in David Simmon's 'The Great New Zealand myth'. This shows that the 'tino-ariki' Tuteremoana of Ngaai Tara, Rangitane and Ngati Awanuiarangi. Tuteremoana was the son of Te Aohaeretahi and Rakaimaori [sic.].It is this Rakaimaori (~Rakaimoari) which is of interest to my current research becasue he HE is recalled in Kaai Tahu traditions and Ngati Kahungunu remember him as Rakiweriweri at Waikoau and Aropaoanui. Kaai Tahu say that Rakaimoari was the former mentor of Tahumata (teina o Huirapa) but his student-tauira killed him at Waikoau. As the Te Keepa Rangihiwinui whakapapa shows this Rakaimoari was from Ngati Ruapani and Ngati Kahungunu.
However since Ngaai Tara refer to Te Aohaeretahi as the "father" of Tuteremoana but no other parent is given then further researcch is needed.
Any ideas-suggestions out there?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 November, 2007 5:09 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: