Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

KEPA/KEEPA  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS
paretutaki
(@paretutaki)

Herena Waretini was a wife of Major Keepa (Taitoko) and they had Wahinekino; then afterwards she married a Pakeha Jim Ham.  They lived in Tokaanu and had 4 children.  Monica Matamua (the Kuia who presented her DNA test results to the Waitangi Tribunal evidencing Iranian Markers as Markers for the Ancient Ngati Hotu people) is a descendant from Herena and Jim Ham. 

It appears as if Wahinekino may have been raised by her Father Taitoko, as I have seen her name on the Whitianga List of Owners (Upper Whanganui River, on Taranaki side) as Wahinekino Mata Kaihoe.  Her Father gave evidence in the Whitianga hearing (2 years before he passed away) so I know it is her.   The fact that she has her step-mother's (Mata Kaihoe) name trailing hers makes me think she was raised by them, ie:Major Kemp and Mata Kaihoe. 

My connection to Herena Waretini Ham (or Hami in some records) is through her brother Kaperiere Parahi or Peri Parahi for short.  They may have been half siblings, but they are both definitely the children of Merania.   I have read an account that states that Merania was Ngati Tuwharetoa ki Kawerau; and it was her - that was brought "back" to Tuwharetoa ki a Taupo-nui-a-Tia rohe.  I don't know enough though to be firm on that though.  

Peri Parahi was the father of my Kui, Merania Peri.  She was named after her Grandmother.  Peri passed away when Merania was only 9, and it appears that she stayed with her Aunty Herena for a time.   Herena Waretini Ham was the trustee of Merania Peri's shares in the Tokaanu Township Block, Ngati Kurauia hapu of Ngati Tuwharetoa Iwi.  

Nga mihi e te whanaunga  😉 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 November, 2018 7:06 am
Page 3 / 3
Share: