Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MITAI  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
swimming14 OWC
(@swimming14-owc)

Hi I am trying to find my grandfather my mother has never meet him and my grandmother Pansy Cora Thurston was married to him and said he left her and never returned this is in the mid 1940s. My mothers name is Gail Carmen Mitai,she was born in Auckland. If anyone has any info please pass it on.

Posted : 18 August, 2006 1:22 am
Thomas OWC
(@thomas-owc)

Related to Wetini mitai???? if that sounds right hes in rotorua and runs the Mitai maori village on fairy springs road, hope it helps

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 October, 2006 10:05 am
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Wetini is a Mitai-Ngatai! A Mitai nonetheless

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 October, 2006 11:01 am
swimming14 OWC
(@swimming14-owc)

Thank you Thomas but I don't think it is them. I wonder if they have an email.
My grandfather left my grandmother after the war, and his family wanted to have my mother to look after and my grandmother did not want to give her up. My grandmother was of english desent.
I wonder if anyone knows if the name mitai is common and how many families are conected to each other.
Taiga what did you mean by your post?

Edited by - swimming14 on Oct 19 2006 01:14:56 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 October, 2006 1:10 am
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Theres a bunch of mitai's that live here in rotorua. from Ngati Tarawhai.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 October, 2006 1:57 pm
swimming14 OWC
(@swimming14-owc)

quote:

Theres a bunch of mitai's that live here in rotorua. from Ngati Tarawhai.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 October, 2006 1:03 am
swimming14 OWC
(@swimming14-owc)

Hi,

I thought there would be many mitai's. Also after my grandfather parents could not take my mother the family did not want to have anything to do with my mother. It's a quite sad. Is that what keeping culture is all about? This actually I feel displaces it for the next generation. Thankyou for you help in trying to find my grandfather and his family. I will keep on trying.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 October, 2006 1:10 am
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

There are reasons for everything, such as you trying to find this side of you. Keep on trying for you will not fail. Maori for me is summed up in two words: Manaakitanga and Aroha! This is what i believe to be the true essence of Maoritanga

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 October, 2006 12:06 pm
peti OWC
(@peti-owc)

Kia ora,

There are Mitai whanau in Opotiki, try Terere marae kia kaha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 October, 2006 6:18 pm
swimming14 OWC
(@swimming14-owc)

Thankyou both for your help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 October, 2006 6:57 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Good Luck i te kimi i to whanau!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 October, 2006 9:47 pm
Hinga Whanau
(@hinga-whanau)

Kia ora Swim,

Try this link: www.familysearch.org. There are a number of Mitai's identified on this site that could lead to some very useful leads. All the very best in your search for more information. And I tautoko Taiga's replies. Do keep at it after all, whakapapa is all about bridging the knowledge gap created by certain events of the past. I find this perpetual discovery to be the case with my own whakapapa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 October, 2006 10:27 am
swimming14 OWC
(@swimming14-owc)

Thank you again for your support

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 October, 2006 11:42 pm
swimming14 OWC
(@swimming14-owc)

Thank you Tina I will email you.

Kindest Regards,
Helen

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 October, 2006 12:59 am
Ngatikool OWC
(@ngatikool-owc)

Hey there!
I too am looking for my whanau but! Our whanau are from up north and Mitai is part of Mitai-Paraihe. Would like to share infor to see if we are looking for the same people.
I do know that there is a Mitai @ Turakina Girls College. She might be able to help you. Good luck e hoa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 October, 2006 9:44 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: