Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

WATENE, Pere  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
tambo12g OWC
(@tambo12g-owc)

Kia ora Nicky,
I too have sent a email to your brother. I am the caretaker of my family whakapapa which is a great honour and I am finding some of the discovery very fascinating.
Thanks so much for your response and help.

Tambo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 November, 2005 10:47 pm
ataahua@hotmail.com OWC
(@ataahuahotmail-com-owc)

Kia ora te whanau Watene

I am a Watene and I was one of the whanau that was involved in the Watene reunion 1992/3 in Kaihu and in accordance to the registrar in Dargaville, Te Arani Maata Pirimona was her name as registered.
On another note, we are still trying to link the Watene whanau here to the whanau in the Ngati Maru area. I would'nt mind some help there too.
Tambo 12G I am on that line under Hipiriona raua Ko Te Arani Watene. My father in law was Te Whitu (Joseph) Watene. I loves this and thanks to this awesome sight, for with out it wewould be still runing around centuries later. kia oara ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 May, 2006 1:52 pm
ataahua@hotmail.com OWC
(@ataahuahotmail-com-owc)

Kia ora te whanau Watene

I am a Watene and I was one of the whanau that was involved in the Watene reunion 1992/3 in Kaihu and in accordance to the registrar in Dargaville, Te Arani Maata Pirimona was her name as registered.
On another note, we are still trying to link the Watene whanau here to the whanau in the Ngati Maru area. I would'nt mind some help there too.
Tambo 12G I am on that line under Hipiriona raua Ko Te Arani Watene. My father in law was Te Whitu (Joseph) Watene. I loves this and thanks to this awesome sight, for with out it wewould be still runing around centuries later. kia oara ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 May, 2006 2:06 pm
superbee OWC
(@superbee-owc)

Kia ora,
Some difficult questions to answer but in a simple term, the Tainui descent from Hoturoa to [13 generations] Reitu where she married Ueoneone. Then down to Waimirirangi, the purported queen of Ngapuhi.

That is how it happens but there is a Kurahaupo descent [6 generations] that joins this line as well and....

Coming in from the side is the Ngati Whatua link at Tauramoko= Te Hauangiangi down to Te Awha= Ngatitaha.....

So.......

Pi.

Edited by - superbee on Jun 18 2006 7:32:31 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 May, 2006 10:47 pm
nzdebmck OWC
(@nzdebmck-owc)

Kia ora, ko Deborah ahau, I am the grand-daughter of Hori Pirimoana and Ani Watene (nee Morris or Morete). Hori's father was Pirimoana, his father was Mita, and his father was Matene Te Nga, Chief of our iwi, Ngati maru. Hori's brothers are Mita and Hemi. Mita lives in Kopu, Thames as does Kim his daughter my cousin. does this help I have more geneology if you wish it. ka kite Deborah

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 June, 2006 10:08 am
tambo12g OWC
(@tambo12g-owc)

Kia ora BW
Thanks for the kind words, two of my sisters and aunties and uncles also attended the Watene reunion in 1992/3 in Kaihu. My whanau had a awesome time.
Best Regards
Tambo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 June, 2006 10:12 pm
K.Wright OWC
(@k-wright-owc)

Kia Ora,

Can anybody tell me if Tauramoko, father of Rahiri Tauramoko, did he have another son named Tangaroa Whakamanamana?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 June, 2006 2:04 pm
KiwiSun OWC
(@kiwisun-owc)

Kia ora

I'm a decendant of Hemi/Parekura/Ratima/Netana, found this site while searching for info on Portoava, Netana Patuawa's father. I do have alot of info which I'm happy to share,via cd or email of data in gedcom format which can be read by most genealogy programmes. Recently downloaded some to Uncle Mac TeWaiti

Thanks ... Aubrey
Waitangi/PAihia

quote:

Hi,
These are the notes written in my whakapapa:-
Netana Patuawa(Nathan Portoava) married Tarati Netana issues were Hipiriona, Wihoko ora, Irhapeti, Merei,Taia,Ratima,Aperahama.
Hipiriona married Petipaihara (1st wife) issues were: Ruru and Paapu.
Hipiriona Married Paretauhiri (2nd wife) issues were Hakiro and Te Ruihi.
Hipiriona Married Ere Ngarui (3rd wife) issues were Te Ruhi, Waingaehe, Irihapeti*, Rihari, Pari.
My Great Great grandmother Irihapeti Elizabeth Netana Patuawa also known as Riripeti Patuawa born 1852 married 1879 to Reihana Watene Watene issues were Tuini, Hipiriona*, Waima married a Snowden, Haki, Rata, Pahi, Raiha (Lisa), Hera, Maraina and Pane.
My Great Grandfather Hipiriona James Born abt 1880 married Te Arani Maata Mata or Martha Pirimoana or Te Arani Waipouri Pirimoana issues were Mereana - Marian (Mary) married Riki Tana, Eruera Hipiriona Edward (Ted)married Rita Anne Thornton (1st wife) and Lulu (2nd wife), Peri (Pere), Te Nori married Sara Snowden, Pua (Paul), Matiu (Mathew) married Erina Paul, Te Whitu Joe, Lena Prani*, Lucy Isabella married William George Walding, Himiona James (Jimmy) married Kohine.
Grandmother Lena married Cyril Thorne.
I hope this helps if you disagree with any of the above please let me know as I am still trying to piece together my whakapapa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 August, 2006 10:45 am
taruawai OWC
(@taruawai-owc)

Kia ora, I was raised by my Great-gran mother Her name was Whareraima Te Ranginui Flavell nee Watene, her father was Te Ranginui Watene, He re-married and had other children and they lived in the Whakatane area. My cousins are also Watenes and thier fathers name to us was Snowy (cant remember his real name) they lived in Murupara where we lived....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 August, 2006 12:18 pm
hinemako OWC
(@hinemako-owc)

Kia ora Whanau,
I couldnt help but read about the whanau Watene and it sparked a flashback in my mind that I have some notes on the Watene Whanau of Hauraki in my whakapapa... the following is what I hold:

Taranaki = Tupeka Te Whakamau (N, Tupaea) had Hemi Miha and Hema Te Ao Watene (1821-1913 aged 92)
Hema lived around Coromandel for most of his long life and had 3 families:
To Parewhakarangi had Ritihia, Hoera and Ropiha;
To another (Unknown) had Ahurangi, Te Aumihi (married Wihona Hapi) and Parauri Jack;
To Ngapera Ihipera Aporo Turei had Pare Hemotitaha and Hanateiha Titikawhena.

Pare Hemotitaha Watene was painted by Lindauer.

Hema Watene's brother Hemi had a Illigitimate son to Tapita Rangiao of the Te Urikaraka Hapu of Kaiaua.
I hope this helps

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 September, 2006 10:43 pm
Mandz Watene OWC
(@mandz-watene-owc)

WOW what can I say - Reading all this Whakapapa is not only very confusing but very very interesting. My great Grandmother was Lena who lived in Gisborne most of her days and my family (Watene) have the name Pirimona all through it aswell. Not too sure about the other variations that you have all mentioned though. My grandfather has passed and i am very thankful to you all for the informtion that we have managed to trace back so far. Pare Watene (great pic) was also direct family of my own and another famous lindauer painting was of a woman with short hair and a baby on her back this baby was one of Pare Watene's children (apparently) the lady in the pic (her name slips me) was good friends with Pare and Godfrey Lindauer found it rare to find a woman from the tribe to have short hair so asked to have her sit for him with Pare's child. So I have been told any way. Please keep up with the forum it is fantastic to read and I am learning alot

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 September, 2006 8:34 pm
Kaaran Watene OWC
(@kaaran-watene-owc)

Kiaora everone my name is kaaran watene son of james rukutai watene son of james rukutai watene son of puti tipene watene son of toke watene son of mita watene first member of the church of jesus christ of latter day saints im wanting get info on that line and see how far i can go back thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 November, 2006 1:26 pm
Shelley Watene OWC
(@shelley-watene-owc)

quote:

Kia Ora,

I too am a descendant of Mita Watene, my name is Nicky Watene and Mita is my great great great grandfather. I come from the line of his son Pirimona (whom I have also named my son after this great man) This is my whakapapa:
Taramauroa ________________Kirieka
Watene Te Koau_____________Ani Te Kokihi
Mita Watene________________Kataraina Matene
Pirimona Watene____________Whakamura Heteraka
Iraia Watene_______________Rose Paraone/Mckyver
Elias Watene_______________Sarah Connor (from the Ngati Paoua peeps)
Tiwai Watene_______________Ann Johnson/Neri
Nicola Watene______________Te Rereka
Alamein Pirimona Wanoa

My dad was also named after Chief Tiwai of the Ngati Maru tribe.
I have whakapapa that dates back to 1300ad please feel free to email me and I can forward this onto you. I can not tell you how proud we are of our heritage, speaking for my bro's and sis's and cousins. We have always been taught where we come from and every now and then run into relatives living in Brisbane, sydney & hamilton. We have a great lineage.

Edited by - nikswatene on Nov 12 2005 08:07:54 AM

Edited by - nikswatene on Nov 12 2005 08:10:33 AM

Edited by - nikswatene on Nov 12 2005 08:28:01 AM

Hi Nicky

I am also a descendant of Mita Watene. My father was Philip Eddie Matene Watene, son of Lena Watene aka Rina Paraone Watene. The name Watene Te-Koau is apparently listed on the Treaty of Waitangi. We have similar ancestry:

Watene Te-Koau
Mita Watene 1825 - Kataraina Matene 1838
Pirimona Watene 1866 -
Lena (Rina) Watene (my grandmother)

Matene te Nga was Kataraina's father. Kataraina's son was Pirimona and my father's grandfather. My dad was brought up with his grandparents until he was 12 before being sent to live with his mother Lena who had remarried and was living in Te Karaka.

Matene te Nga was a direct descendant of the Hoturoa who was captain of the Tainui canoe on it's voyage to NZ. He was also one of the few survivors of the Totara Pa Massacre in 1821 led by Hongi Hika and became a Ngati Maru chief. He lived at Kirikiri near Thames.

Can you please send me any information that you have? I would really appreciate help trying to put the pieces together.

Thanks!
Shelley

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 November, 2006 9:58 pm
Mikaere OWC
(@mikaere-owc)

Kia Ora everyone that has put a great deal of information on this thread concerning the Watene Whanau. My cousin Peggy Watene Hobson is so overwhelmed with this information and so am i with everyones input into helping this kuia search for her whanau. You have all been so awesome that i can not thank you enough.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 December, 2006 11:42 pm
nikswatene OWC
(@nikswatene-owc)

quote:

Kiaora everone my name is kaaran watene son of james rukutai watene son of james rukutai watene son of puti tipene watene son of toke watene son of mita watene first member of the church of jesus christ of latter day saints im wanting get info on that line and see how far i can go back thanks

Hi Kaaran,
surprised I haven't run into you sooner as I'm a member too. Born into Dinsdale Hamilton ward now living in Sydney. But I wanted to check I've always been taught the Matene Te Nga was the first to join in our family, quite special as he was the only one to survive the massacre as a young boy!! anyways drop me a line on this

Nicky

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 June, 2007 4:13 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: