Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Ngati Kuri Tupuna?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
Nga Hau e Wha OWC
(@nga-hau-e-wha-owc)

Check if your whanau call themselves Ngati Kuri ki Pawarenga or just Ngati Kuri. Do you know the whanau Pepeha? Have you heard of the Rangihou marae? Or which Maunga they claim?

Have you followed Te Aupouri fromtheir being renamed history; the 75th Celebration is particularly clear that Aupouri are very level headed, pursue education and positions as government employees and have embraced Christianity. They are very focused.

Matiu Rata in the 1990's re-established which tribes were an iwi and confirmed who were hapu. Ngati Kuri stood once more and it is up to the tribe to move forward instead of just a talkfest Until very recently the Aupouri register swallowed all the hapu up north. From the late 1800s NK tupuna and/or other Maori's in the Far north were registered and buried as Aupouri and even more so since the crowning of the first Maori King the Aupouri also shared whakapapa This would have endorsed the Aupouri's ststement they were the major tribe.

quote:

Kia ora Nga Hau e wha,

Yep, that is why I asked - my grandparests stones say Te Aupouri and the uncles have said Te Aupouri until about 10 years ago when they said Ngati Kuri. When I asked them about the "change" they said that they had been brought up with Te Aupouri and always told that by their parents and grandparents and had only recently learnt (when they were in their 70s) that we were Ngati Kuri. When I asked them how, they couldn't really tell me so after finding this place and seeing that there were Ngati Kuri I thought maybe I could get an idea of a "how" ....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 September, 2007 3:54 am
ngatikuriteiwi OWC
(@ngatikuriteiwi-owc)

E hoa ma, Ta Tatou emera ko: ngatikuriteiwi.co.nz.
Let us know your whanau, hapu, uncles aunts, me to karani - I will ask the taumata and get back to you fullas. Ma te wa ka kite ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 September, 2007 7:00 pm
ngatikuriteiwi OWC
(@ngatikuriteiwi-owc)

Aiii e mara I missed a bit,

ngatikuriteiwi@xtra.co.nz

Go for it - I'm sure we can help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 September, 2007 7:03 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member
Posted by: ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC

Kia ora been awhile since i find a moment to go through the posts. Great to see there are so many topics of note. Nice to see the replies. Hope Moneywrench comes back to fill in the gaps. I wonder would all the tribes known as Ngati Kuri ever organise a get together and where?

I am sure it is not usual... that there are many tribes around the motu who carry the same name and can trace their links back to the paramount tribe still carrying the same name.

1. So who thinks Kuri relates to the fishing nets made out of seal skins used to patch up Po's waka after Kurahaupo sailed from the Kermadecs to Aotearoa? Seals are also known as 'sea dogs' because of their bark...

2. Named after the dogs sacrificed at Motu whangai kuri by the grandson of Ihupatera

3. Wairupe named the tribe after her husband Kuri after his death.

4. Kaikoura Ngati Kuri so named after Te Rau Karora came to the South Island and after a great battle some warriors stayed behind and the South Island Chief's daughter Kataraina returned to the Far North with Te Rau.

5. The Ngati Kuri were well known for wearing their prized cloaks made out of dog skins.

Any other stories most welcome to be added.

re Number 4 above
This is on the Ngāi Tahu – Kaikōura History page regarding Ngati Kuri from the Kaikoura area

Te Heke o Ngati Kuri

Ngāi Tahu’s moves south brought the tribe progressively into the various areas occupied by them at the time of the Treaty. The first heke, or migration, was that of Ngati Kuri. Kuri lived several generations after Tahupotiki, and it was his grandson and great-grandson, Puraho and Mako, who first took the tribe across Raukawamoana (Cook Strait), following a battle with Ngati Ira at Puharakeke (near Seaview, Lower Hutt). At Kura te Au (Tory Channel) where they settled, they soon came into conflict with Ngai Tara, whom they successfully defeated. In the Wairau they campaigned against Rangitane, and eventually a Ngati Kuri chief, Maru, moved south to Waipapa, on the Kaikōura coast. Mr Wiremu Solomon, a kaumatua from Kaikōura explained the events that then took place:

Kati Kuri came and lived at Kaikōura and the tribes…living there gave over the Kaikōura lands to Maru… There were many hapu, or clans, living at Kaikōura even Kati Mamoe. These were the ones who wanted to live peacefully, who did not want fighting… Kai Tahu’s battles were not murderous ones, they did not just fight for fighting’s sake. They did not kill without end. It was not like that. They fought their battles and when it was over that was the end of it. They did not chase their enemies all over the country nor did they kill treacherously. Kati Kuri was not like that. Now, at the time that Kaikōura was given over to Maru a poha (food storage container) named ‘Tohu Raumati’ was given also. This poha was fashioned with a bird in front and a human figure on top and the food in it was never eaten by man… although food was preserved in it each year. The first foods of the year were preserved in that poha. It was a sacred poha imbued with the sacred rituals and mana of the Maori. The giving of that poha was symbolic of the giving of the land. (H7:22)

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 July, 2019 6:29 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: