Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Charles Rex Herriott/Charles Herbert Small  

RSS
Thelma Manaena OF
(@thelma-manaena-of)

My paternal great grandfather was born in Riverton, west Southland about late 1880s of Ngai Tahu descent. He also is known as Herrett/Heriot/Herriott or Small, his registered name on my nannys death cert. I am really keen to hear from anyone who may have a similar search from down that way. Noho ora ra.

Edited by - Thelma Manaena on 17/12/02 08:45:18

Edited by - Thelma Manaena on 17/12/02 08:52:59

Posted : 10 December, 2002 12:33 am
Taramea
(@taramea)

Kia ora Thelma,  

I can see this is quite an old post and I have not seen any updates.  I am from Riverton and use the Find a Grave website to fill in details for my own family.  I put in your g Grandfather's name and this record showed for Riverton Cemetary

Headstone: Great War Veteran 39338 Pte H C SMALL Otago Regt died 23 Apr 1959 age 70 years

From the Auckland War Memorial Museum database: 
Full Name Herbert Charles Small 
Forename(s) Herbert Charles 
Surname Small 
War World War I, 1914-1918 
Serial No. 39338 
First Known Rank Corporal 
Occupation before Enlistment Slaughterman 
Next of Kin Mrs Mary Small (mother), William Street, North Invercargill, New Zealand 
Body on Embarkation New Zealand Expeditionary Force 
Embarkation Unit 22nd Reinforcements Otago Infantry Regiment, D Company 
Embarkation Date 16 February 1917 
Place of Embarkation Wellington, New Zealand 
Transport HMNZT 76 
Vessel Aparima 
Destination Plymouth, England 
Nominal Roll Number 55 
Page on Nominal Roll 13 
Sources Used Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume III. Wellington: Govt. Printer, 1918

Taramea

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 April, 2019 1:33 pm
Share: