Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Aston,Ashton,Lee,Williamson,  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Manawa_Timu_Ngaati_Kahungunu
(@manawa_timu_ngaati_kahungunu)

Kia ola Uanau

Edited by - manawa on Aug 01 2007 01:20:06 AM

Posted : 23 December, 2005 4:11 pm
turipa OWC
(@turipa-owc)

hello Manawa
I might be able to help you, I have recently researched the Lee family, we have an Elizabeth Lee who married an Ashton, Elizabeth had a daughter Maria. Elizabeths parents were Sarah Timu and Jacka Lee. I can go back a bit further....
please email me on,
turipa@clear.net.nz
if this sounds like it could help

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 January, 2006 4:16 pm

gfh

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 September, 2006 2:10 am
a.giacon OWC
(@a-giacon-owc)

Hi Manawa, I am emailing on behalf of a relation by marriage Lyall Baird who lives in Auckland.. She is the daughter of Aubrey Ernest Burrow Baird, who was the son of Ernest Baird, who was the son of Maraea Baird(nee Lee), who was the sister of Elizabeth Lee
and daughter of Jack Lee and Sarah Timu.
She has various papers she has collected, and would love to swap info with any of their descendents. If anyone of the descendents would like to contact her, please email me, and I will pass on your telephone number
a.giacon@woosh.co.nz
Regards
Adrienne

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 November, 2006 6:28 pm
cablen OWC
(@cablen-owc)

Hi Manawa,

I'm a direct descendant of Maria Ashton, via John Williamson, Charles Williamson and me mum.

Love to know what you and the others have got so far. I have got a bit of info on the Ngai Tahu side, but very little on the Ngati Kahungunu side (Sarah Timu)

Get back to me with a response...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 November, 2006 11:52 am

Kia ora e Nick

Please e-mial me on manawa1282@hotmail.com
Will be verry interesting to chat with you via-email.

Kia ora koe..

Ka Kite

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 December, 2006 8:55 am
Alison C OWC
(@alison-c-owc)

Hi
My 3x greatgrandparents are Elizabeth LEE and William ASTON/ASHTON. My 2x greatgrandparents Maria Theresa ASHTON/ASTON and Charles WILLIAMSON.

I have back to Elizabeth's parents Sarah TIMU & John LEE/LEIGH.

Is it true that Sarah TIMU's father was Koroko?

Would love to know.

Please email at alisonfay@paradise.net.nz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 December, 2006 3:37 pm
cablen OWC
(@cablen-owc)

Can confirm Sarah Timu was of Ngati Kahungunu and Ngati Pourou descent,born near Bethlehem, Tauranga, around 1800-1810. The Timu whanau still live there. Also connected with Ngati Kahu from Wairoa Marae (near Bethlehem).

There is a local tradition that a woman from this area was supposed to marry the paramount chief Hori Kingi Tupaea (of Otumoetai). She eloped with a whaler from Tauranga instead. Sounds suspiciously like the tale of Sarah Timu and Jack Lee.

Interestingly, Tupaea's son was earmarked to be the first Maori King, but turned the role down.

Hope to get some further confirmation of these details soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 January, 2007 9:34 pm
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora cablen

Couldn't ignore your post.
Have I got the right lineages hori kingi tupaea half brother te korohiko married maata.
Father hamuera hori tupaea from hawkes bay or tauranga.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 February, 2007 9:04 am
Alison C OWC
(@alison-c-owc)

Interesting that you say about the story. We had that story but was told by my grandfather's cousin that was not true... We have the John LEE was a older man when he met Sarah Timu in the North Island. Also that he came to Australia first. Does that ring any bells to any one???

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 February, 2007 9:18 pm

Tena koe Uanauka(Nick)

I just read your post, and was wondering How it is you can confirn that Our GGGG Grandmother "Timu" was From Kati Kahukunu And Kati Porou"?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 March, 2007 12:35 pm
yok-attack OWC
(@yok-attack-owc)

Hi
My Grand Father was John Morrison Williamson, Father Ronald Clutha Williamson (Ponto Williamson) Would like to learn more about the family.

George Williamson

Edited by - yok-attack on Apr 20 2007 9:31:40 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 April, 2007 1:58 am
cablen OWC
(@cablen-owc)

Hi Manawa,

Yep, I'll need to confirm this with a chat to the Timu family, but I got my info from a Ngati Kahu kuia, who was related to a "Sarah Timu", who was born about 1800 in Bethlehem and went down to the South Island.

Interesting that AlisonC has heard the same story(albeit discounted) - is this independent coorboration? [Sorry, that's the archaeologist in me speaking]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 May, 2007 9:39 am
Alison C OWC
(@alison-c-owc)

Hi
Re: The story of Timu & John meeting

I was told this by my Auntie & my mother who heard it from other older family members. My Auntie always maintained these story even after she was told otherwise.
As my mother says traditions can get changed by each telling but I think there is someting in the story as it proven fact that Jacka brought Timu & new born son John William down to the South Island. Whether she is North Island Maori or South Island Maori is what we are not sure of. My Auntie reckons she was "adopted by Nga Tahu tribe" when they settled at Rakiura/Stewart Island.

Also does anyone know what happened to oldest son John William? We originally had him married to Jane Dallas - have since found that he is different John William Lee. Is it true that Timau & John's oldest son went to Germany?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 July, 2007 3:02 pm
cablen OWC
(@cablen-owc)

Hi All,

John Lee appears to be the same "John Leigh" mentioned in "The Bay of Islands" by Jack Lee (prob. a relation). Quote from page 124:

"In January 1826 Captain Stewart called at the Bay of Islands and induced a number of men working there to accompany him to Port Pegasus on Stewart's Island, where he intended to establish a timber and ship-building enterprise. These were the shipwright William Cook, John Leigh, Hugh McCurdy, Robert Day, Ben Turner and three others.

The group included eight men and nine woman. They were later abandoned by Stewart when he returned to Sydney and was reputedly jailed for debt. Some of the men retuned to Kororareka (Russell) after building a small vessel to escape.

Regarding Sarah Timu, there is a Nga Puhi tradition that identifies a group(?)of Maori women who fled the Tauranga region for Russell and subsequently recaptured by taua from the Bay of Plenty. This was in part one of the reasons for Hongi Hika's invasion of the south in the 1820s (the Musket Wars).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 October, 2007 12:30 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: