Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

ROGERS WHANAU  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
sandybishop49@hotmail.com OWC
(@sandybishop49hotmail-com-owc)

Tena Koe,

Looking for my Dad's Whanau for the sake of my children and moko's. These are the names he went by Te Riri-Heta Hona Tonie-Hona Rogers, he was a fluent Maori speaker. He had 5 Children to our mother whose name was Carol Te Paki from Lower Hutt,he married Celia Lewis from Levin-Otaki.He worked at the Gear ( Freezing Works )Petone He was born on the 31st October 1919.He never spoke about his Whanau, and we were told he came from Rotorua.So I hope someone out there can help us, have been searching now for a number of years now.

Ka kite

Posted : 13 September, 2005 12:09 am
azzarian
(@azzarian)

Hi there,

I have a friend who's last name is also Rogers. When talking to him a few years ago about the taiaha course at Mokoia Island he also said that his whanau were from Rotorua, Mokoia Island. I'll ask my friend if his whanau might know the name your asking about. It's all worth a try!
Cheers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 September, 2005 1:30 pm

Tena Koe Azzarian,

We would be most gratful for any information that we can get, thank you.

Sandy Bishop (nee Rogers)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 September, 2005 2:34 pm
manu_tekowhai@hotmail.com OWC
(@manu_tekowhaihotmail-com-owc)

Tena Koe Azzarian,
You are on the right track as far as Rotorua is concerned. the Marae that the Rogers connect with, is called Owhata Marae, and it is situated around Hinemoa Point. the other connection to the Rogers is the Galvin whanau, but I do not personally know them. Ther is also a Rogers whanau in Wainuiomata that link to the same Rogers whanau but their father moved over to the East Coast and identified with whanau there.
Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 November, 2005 6:16 pm
joannebg121 OWC
(@joannebg121-owc)

My mother is a Rogers. From Rotorua. If you would like to know more she has the Rogers-Clarke reunion book listing whakapapa and other. I can get it and research more for you if you like...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 November, 2005 10:47 am
Bella.t OWC
(@bella-t-owc)

Tena Koe Azzarian

I am a Clarke from Ngawha. The Rogers whanau you refer to have connections in Te Arawa and Ngapuhi (Ngawha).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 June, 2006 11:07 pm

Tena Koe Bella T,
Thank you so much for your info and i hope it well help me in some way. I have just found out that my dad had a brother & sister who's names are: Sam & Polly.Thank you

Sandy Bishop Rogers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 July, 2006 7:20 pm

Tena Koe,

We have moved back to Havelock North from Sydney and have just found out that my dad had a sister & brother by the name of Sam & Polly. I hope someone knows of his brother & sister or their whanau which will help us a lot as we have been searching for so long now. Any bit of info if you know will help us.
Ka Kite
Sandy Bishop Rogers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 July, 2006 7:29 pm
maori.chica OWC
(@maori-chica-owc)

would these rogers be related to the heta from dargaville up north..

im trying to trace my whanau from up there as i know nothing about them..

also n askin that is this rogers whanau related tot he rogers from the east coast..
from whitianga and torere??

very curious..
ka kite

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 October, 2006 11:12 am
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

Tena Koe,

Looking for my Dad's Whanau for the sake of my children and moko's. These are the names he went by Te Riri-Heta Hona Tonie-Hona Rogers, he was a fluent Maori speaker. He had 5 Children to our mother whose name was Carol Te Paki from Lower Hutt,he married Celia Lewis from Levin-Otaki.He worked at the Gear ( Freezing Works )Petone He was born on the 31st October 1919.He never spoke about his Whanau, and we were told he came from Rotorua.So I hope someone out there can help us, have been searching now for a number of years now.

There was a Sam Rogers who lived in Wainuiomata and worked at the Gear Meat freezing works in the 1960s-70s. He originated from Ruatoria. Having worked in the area, I found that the Rogers whanau of Ngapuhi and Rotorua are related to the Tairawhiti ones too. I was told that the original Pakeha landed in Taitokerau and had a fast waka. Anyway, the mother of Fred Bennett, the first Anglican Maori bishop was a Rotorua Rogers, if that helps.

Ka kite

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 January, 2007 8:46 am
PH OWC
(@ph-owc)

Kiaora Sandy,

The Rogers/Clarke whanau originated from up North (Nga Puhi). The tribe that the Rogers whanau are most affiliated within Rotorua is Ngati Whakaue. Tamatekapua being one of our Marae. If you can locate the Rogers/Clarke Whanau book - you may find a few answers to your questions. My grandfather is a Rogers who still resides here in Rotorua. I will ask him if he has heard any of the names in you request

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 January, 2007 6:24 pm
lichelle vianello OWC
(@lichelle-vianello-owc)

Kia ora

I am also a desendant of a "Rogers" I am just starting the search. I know my great great grandfather was Charles Rogers bother of William Rogers who is the Grandfather of Frederick Bennett the 1st Maori Bishop again my connections seem to fit with similair areas Rotorua and have family land very close to the Ngati Whakaue Marae.

Hope we can learn together

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 March, 2007 8:02 pm
DDD OWC
(@ddd-owc)

quote:

Tena Koe,

Ka kite

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 May, 2007 2:51 pm
DDD OWC
(@ddd-owc)

tena koutou

i see a few request for information on the rogers whanau. I have a huge box of geneology and books on all branches of the rogers family. William henry Rogers, an american whaler, was the first rogers in aotearoa. he had 4 different wives, spanning from ngapuhi, te arawa, and east coast. this is why the rogers are found everywhere. The next generation down, a number of his sons also had more than one wife, so again a rapid spread of uri. This is also where the clarkes fit in, and the name pokaihau. in te arawa, there are two main lines, pukehina and rotorua. in rotorua, the rogers connect widely in ngati whakaue, and descend from all 6 of the koromatua of ngati whakaue. The whanau at hinemoa point are my whanau as are the whanau at ohinemutu, and we also tie strongly to hurunga at ngapuna and uenukukopako. The hona whanau are also from hurunga at ngaouna and we actually relate to them. I can provide more info for anyone douglas.macredie@scionresearch.com 021983985

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 May, 2007 3:00 pm
mholden OWC
(@mholden-owc)

quote:

Kia ora

I am also a desendant of a "Rogers" I am just starting the search. I know my great great grandfather was Charles Rogers brother of William Rogers who is the Grandfather of Frederick Bennett the 1st Maori Bishop again my connections seem to fit with similair areas Rotorua and have family land very close to the Ngati Whakaue Marae.

Hope we can learn together

Kia Ora,

I am wondering if William Rogers here is William Thomas Rogers? He is my great grandfather and was born about 1888. I do believe he had a brother Charles also. My grandfather is Clifford Thomas Rogers born Christchurch; died in Sydney in 1963. Any information or guidance you can provide would help.

Thanks, Matt

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 February, 2008 11:26 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: