Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

SMITH, TUHI Possibly from WAIROA  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
O-Mikayla-O OWC
(@o-mikayla-o-owc)

SMITH, Tuhi: Tracing Tupuna

He had children before he died with an Alice Taewa (formally knowen as Alice Hoani)
He may have come from Wairoa or may have been buried there i'm not sure but possiblly apart of Ngati Kahungunu.

ANY sort of information, you know someone that knows someone....
would be greatly apreciated!!

Edited by - O-Mikayla-O on Aug 31 2006 9:28:59 PM

Edited by - O-Mikayla-O on Aug 31 2006 9:31:16 PM

Posted : 24 August, 2006 5:43 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Kia ora O-Mikayla-O

Check this site out:
www.geocities.com/lor_solo/descendants.html
Regards

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 September, 2006 3:01 am
Army Brat OWC
(@army-brat-owc)

Kia ora,
There are two Smith Families from Wairoa. My Smith whanau are from Nuhaka. Can you provide some more details, your connection to Tuhi Smith, names of his children, names of his parents, grandparents etc so I can check my whakapapa to see if there is a connection to my whanau.

Army Brat

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 October, 2006 6:05 pm
Domino OWC
(@domino-owc)

Kia ora O-Mikayla-O
Please post more details my family also hail from Nuhaka, Whakaki, Wairoa area.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 October, 2006 8:58 pm
O-Mikayla-O OWC
(@o-mikayla-o-owc)

Hey,
Sorry but the only information that i know is what i have already written. If you happen to come across Smith as a surname from the area that you are also focusing on, to let me know would be greatly apreciated!

Would His childrens names be of any help?
If so let me know.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 October, 2006 8:42 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Kia ora koutou,
The Smith/ Mete whakapapa is a considerably large one, and I can see where the difficulty lay in helping fill in the blanks.
Do you know Tuhi Smith's parents names. Or if you had any other info about Alice Taewa that might be relavant, sometimes the smallest detail is the missing link. Do you know if your tipuna was known by any other name? Or inreference to their children - do you have any information concerning the childrens spouses.

My daughter is a mokopuna of Hackem Smith and Tauarai Parapara, from where her Smith/Mete line originates and connects to that area. I searched what information I have for your tipuna but have found nothing as yet, but you know he may have had another name, which was fairly normal too years ago.
I know you've said you have a limitted amount of knowledge but I'm sure we'll all do our best to try to help you. The whakapapa link I posted back in 1st September is a site dedicaated to the Smith whanau and the whakapapa links to other extended whanau/ descendants. I hope you had a look around in there. There are email links to the people responsible for the researching that may be able to help you in your search.

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 October, 2006 12:55 pm
O-Mikayla-O OWC
(@o-mikayla-o-owc)

Hey there!

I'll need to explain my connection to Tuhi and ill also tell you his spouse etc.

My grandmother Alice Hoani married to Tuhi Smith. They both had three children, David smith who was buried at Te Whaiti, My grandfather Daniel Taewa who is now diceased and Didi Taewa who is still alive. Tuhi had died but nobody is sure of where is was buried or even where he was from. Alice Smith had remarried to Jury Taewa. The three children from the previous marrige,(Tuhi smith) had taken the last name of her new marrige. As you can see before how i had writen some Taewa and one Smith is because those are the names they chose. The children from the new marrige only know as much as i do and i am the only one interested in finding more out about him of the children and desendants of the first marrige, his whakapapa and possibly family.

maybe that could help or explain the situation but anything else or questions i could ask the elders and possibly it might spark some more information.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 October, 2006 2:11 pm
rangihapainga OWC
(@rangihapainga-owc)

Hi there, the Smith family is definately a large one. My husband is a Smith from Nuhaka, his dad was Cleo Smith whose dad was Tuehu Smith and mum was Te Pora. There is a Smith Reunion this christmas 2007 for the descendants of Peter Smith and Emma Harete Ellis which my husband is a descendant from.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 February, 2007 11:29 am
O-Mikayla-O OWC
(@o-mikayla-o-owc)

Hi thanks for the reply...
I am still on discovery for my whakapapa and relatives etc... But basically im only relying on other people on this part of my family tree because it was a second marrige and the first of them there is no information on him except for where he was buried and basically thats the only information i have. Possibly if your husband knew by any chance which part of the family he could be from and possibly a person that may know lots of information of around about his time of the family.....If that makes sence.
I have no trouble in visiting anybody within reach who might have this information.
Otherwise thank you for your information and your efforts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 February, 2007 7:12 pm
Retimana OWC
(@retimana-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora O-Mikayla-O,

A search for the names you mentioned produced the following results:

"SMITH, TUHI" - not found (I think that this is because there are just too many millions of SMITH's, so it wouldn't be reasonable option to conduct a search of "SMITH" and the same goes for many possible versions of "Tuhi" - e.g., ...tuhi or Tuhi... or ...tuhi...)

A search of the other names, on the other hand, produced the following:

"TAEWA, ALICE" - not found but Leila TAEWA, Hika TAEWA and Joseph TAEWA were all found for identifying themselves as belonging to Rongohaere Marae at http://www.oldfriends.co.nz

"HOANI, ALICE" - Found as a current owner of shares in 7 Blocks in the Waiariki Maori Land Court District, including Uwhiarae and Tatahoata Marae. http://www.maorilandonline.govt.nz

Ruatahuna is not that far from Te Whaiti, the place where your grand uncle David is buried.

Hope this helps and may be you could consider asking Alice Hoani whanau around the Ruatahuna and Murupara areas, or who aligne themselves with these Marae?

Kia Ora Ano.

Edited by - Retimana on Feb 08 2007 10:42:43 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 February, 2007 10:40 pm
teurikore07 OWC
(@teurikore07-owc)

kia ora o-mikayla-o my mother was alice taewa.tuhi smith lived and i believed died at asmall place called waituhi which is part of an area known as patutahi near gisborne.tuhi smith had a son to his second wife.his name was joseph.i am sure you will get more information about tuhi smith if you contacted the hawea family who have lived in this area all their lives.the pere family also from this area may be of some help.my name is lennie taewa.your grandfather daniel was my half-brother and he was bought up with us.hope this is of some help to you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 February, 2007 1:27 am
O-Mikayla-O OWC
(@o-mikayla-o-owc)

So then you would know Jake Taewa....
I stay with jake quite often and close with his children and grandchildren. I also think that you are apart of the tree that Jake Taewa drawn up for me but the information you have given me is alot!
So did have a second wife because i didn't know that, i thought that he died then Alice Hoani had a second marrige to a Taewa. So would you possibly know when Tuhi Died? Also would it possible if i could have some sort of contact number of these family names? And when you said that he was brought up with you was that your real mother because i am aware that Jake was brought up by somebody else in the family. Also do you possibly know the where abouts of Joseph Taewa and maybe how i could get in contact with him. Thankyou very much for your help and is the most help i'v had so far....
Mikayla Kojis

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 February, 2007 6:34 pm
teurikore07 OWC
(@teurikore07-owc)

kia ora mikayla first of all let me clarify a few points for you. jake taewa is my brother but he was brought up by our auntie ivy my mothers sister. your grandfather daniel was brought up from an early age by my parents jury and alice taewa. your greatgrandfather tuhi smith remarried after my mother alice left him. i do not know who he married but i beleive he had more children to this woman. joseph smith was the eldest child. i do not know when tuhi smith died and as far as i am aware joseph smith still lives in gisborne. i am sorry i cant help you out with the contact numbers of the family names i gave you but i am sure they would be in the gisborne directory.
What is your real name and how exactly are you related to daniel taewa. hope to hear from you soon lennie taewa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 February, 2007 11:34 pm
O-Mikayla-O OWC
(@o-mikayla-o-owc)

Hey there sorry for the late reply....
My name is mikayla kojis - Taewa and im from wanganui. Daniel taewa is my grandfather on my fathers side. I have never met him but only hear of what my nan says. I do know that taewa was the marrige name carried over to the smith siblings of Alice. I was brought up by my mother so i have no knowledge of my maori side.
I am going to Jake Taewas 60th and i think an invitation would have been sent out to you.
I havent yet met alot of the taewas but i previously have heard about you that you lived in Australia. But other than that i do not have any knowledge of Tuhi and that he had remarried. I am the only one of the Smith/Taewas that is searching for this family. Nobody had no clue that he had remarried and it only says there is others out there that would know more about him and where he is from. Thankyou for this information....

Mikayla Kojis

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 March, 2007 8:26 am
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

He mihi ki te runga rawa nana nei i hanga. Ngā mihi nui ki te whānau whānui ā Taewa. Tēnā koe Mikayla.
My mother-in-law's mother was Mae Taewa but she was raised by Mae sister Sophie Haereroa. Their ancestral marae is Rongohaere situated in Hiruharama south of Ruatoria in the Uepohatu rohe of Ngāti Porou. Some years back we went to a whakawhanaungtanga hui at easter. Nannie Sophie, in her late 70's travelled from Chch. I have the Taewa whakapapa that uncle Pani, son of Sophie had put together with the latest entries of that time [1980's. Whānau your welcome to email me.
Mā te ātua e manaaki.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 March, 2007 8:57 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: