Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

UERATA, Hiakai  

RSS
nikki OWC
(@nikki-owc)

Kia ora everybody. I am a moko of Hiakai Uerata and Mihi Tana Turner. My Mum was whangai'd to this whanau and I would love to find more specifics about the Uerata's as my Koro was very dear to us and he lived with us in Opunake until his death in 1986 when I was just 4. Their father (my great-grandfather) was Tawhia Uerata aka Maungarongo Uerata. Their mother (my great-grandmother) was Kapuni Mihitaurangi Uerata nee Haraweihana (Salvation). My Koro's siblings were Ikimoke, Hauauru, Tawhia Uerata II, Puna Te Aroha aka Ngarape, Hata, Hauata, Wahawaha aka Bella, Huihuiora, Amoroa, Kawe, Nukuhia and Homai. If anyone has any information on this particular whanau that would be awesome!

I have been told that Rakaunui near Kawhia is where the Uerata whanau are from. We have only ever really known Purekireki Wiwi as our marae as this is our marae on the other side, though the name Uerata appears there too. Could anyone please help with details such as the marae, name of the hapu (I know we are Ngati Apakura but have also heard we are Ngati Mahuta), name of whare, etc. Or even any helpful links. Thank you all so much. This site is soooooo awesome. Look forward to hearing from you.

Posted : 11 January, 2007 10:19 am
nikki OWC
(@nikki-owc)

Just thought I would add here that was Koro was known as Jack. Maybe this little extra bit of information will help someone help me. Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 January, 2007 11:05 am
nikki OWC
(@nikki-owc)

I'm just trying to bump this up. One last try at getting any info. Nga mihi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 April, 2007 5:03 pm
y2ranga
(@y2ranga)

Kia ora Niki, I met Ikimoke at Omakaroa Bernstein Road, Rakaunui. The other names that were attached to the whanau were Tapara Rata, Mack Rata, Timothy Rata,the Waka family. Iki's hoa rangatira was Kio. That was some thirty years ago.I know that Macks whanau lived in Otorohanga. I am sorry that this is all I can share with you, however your koros' brother Iki had a quiet sense of authority and was the first person whom I saw smoke Torori in a pipe. Good memories

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 May, 2007 5:55 pm
tainuichic OWC
(@tainuichic-owc)

Kia ora Cuz.
Just a quick reply to let you know I am a relative of yours. Ikemoke is my great granfather. He had a son Kanganui known as JF or jo Frog to most, he is my koro. Im in the same waka as you I want to know my roots deeply but because there was lil contact between the all I aswell as other cuzies missed out on meeting extended whanau so we have to go on the net as we have to find our whanau!
So Kia ora and tumeke to meet another whanau!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 June, 2007 5:57 pm
nikki OWC
(@nikki-owc)

Kia ora Y2ranga for that. Every little bit of information helps and it's lovely to hear about Koro Ikimoke. I'd love to see some photos as when I met Homai Uerata II (Koro Homai's son) years ago, I was blown away. He looks just like my Koro. I have sent a personal reply also to tainuichic (cher cher cuz). Just to let you all know I now have the whakapapa on the Uerata line sussed, and I'm stoked as! Still got to do the other side of the whanau though- the journey is ongoing but hei aha, it's worth it in the end. That's for sure. I have found the Maori Land Court records to be invaluable and would strongly recommend them to others researching their whakapapa (along with speaking to kaumatua, etc). National Archives in Wellington also looks to be extremely useful (recommend the book He Pukaki Maori if going there, it's available at libraries). Kia ora and best of luck & good vibes to everybody. Mauriora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 June, 2007 2:17 pm
Share: